The Incredible Adventures of Gourmet Gal

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

WILL YOU MARRY ME, BOON CHU THAI PLACE?

BOON CHU THAI PLACE
83-18 Broadway
Elmhurst, NY 11373

Yes, that’s right. If you read my last posting, then you’ll know that I need one spouse for purposes which are none of your business, and the other one for healing my wounded bitchy perky ass. And don’t you judge me now. Sometimes, there’s only one place on earth you would rather be, and it sure ain‘t Kansas for a little gong-banging yellow girl from Taiwan like me.

WILL YOU MARRY ME, BOON CHU TAHI PLACE TWICE?

The night we got there, the place was packed with all sorts of young ABAs (American Born Asians, a.k.a. All kinds of chinks). They chatted heartily and struggled to order the dishes on the menu with heavy ’R’s pronunciations. I giggled at their efforts then realized that I didn’t know how to speak Thai either. Oh, well. At least I didn‘t make an ass out of myself.

J was patient, as usual. “Order whatever would get you out of that cranky mood.” I looked up at the chalk board for today’s special. Soft Shell Crab and something rather fishy in Thai. Uh, oh. It’s always that dish they wouldn’t translate into English that’s the best. My eyes lit up and nipples hardened.

The vaguely Jackie Chan look-alike owner greeted us like old friends. I inquired the mysterious dish on the board. He frowned, wrinkled his nose, and finally smiled then shook his head. “It’s Thai cat fish. We buy whole, take only the meat, throw the bones, then chop them.” He gestured the word “chopping” with a martial artist‘s finesse. “We mix the meat flat and fry them so they puff up.” His whole body nearly leapt up and his eyes beamed a la Gordon Ramsey after the much anticipated action “puff up”. Now here was the interesting part, he looked at me and instantly all the previous fervor was wiped off of his face. He said firmly, “You won’t like it.”

HA! VERY VERY INTERESTING!! WHY WOULD HE SAY THAT?

He proceeded by waving his head and shaking his head “no” several times to make sure I got it.
“ Too much work.” I sensed skepticism. I smelled desperation. I wanted to order it just because. J looked sincerely sorry for this poor man at the mercy of his lovely, beautiful wife. I gave the owner one long glance.

THEN WHY DID YA PUT IT ON THE SPECILAL BOARD THEN, HOMIE?!

Alright, it was close to 10 pm and I decided to cut him a break. I ordered simple.

SOFT SEHLL CRAB IN CHILI SAUCE
PAD KAPROW (SAUTEED GROUND CHICKEN WITH BASIL & CHILI)
PAD THAI (SAUTEED RICE NOODLES WITH SHRIMP, BEAN SPROUTS, EGGS, SCALLION AND GROUNDED PEANUT)
THAI ICE TEA
COKE

The intense aroma of basil and chili from Pad Kaprow permeated the little joint before it even arrived on our table. J let out the breath of relief at the sight of this plate of seaming ground chicken over rice. He nodded and took a huge forkful. “Hey, this is like Thai sloppy Joe’s. I can eat this.”

I was anxious to have the soft shell crab, thus only nibbled gingerly on the reliably tasty Pad Thai. After what seemed like an eternity, my two plump babies sailed out of the kitchen on a giant plastic plate doused in glistening soy chili sauce. Suddenly all the ABAs and FOBs (yes, they came in late) stopped talking at the sight of the dish. The atmosphere was tense with hushed owes.

NA NANA NA NA
NANA NANA NANA
I GOT THE PRIZE DISH AND YOU DON’T!

I was so excited that J had to stop me from mooning the other guests by pointing to the dish. Oh yeah, that’s right. Let’s taste it. I dove into the seemingly crispy soft shell crab. They were indeed buxom and juicy, except the breading outside seemed a tad too heavy. I like my soft shell crab light, crispy, and melting in your mouth. But it don’t matter, I’ll still marry you, Boon Chu Thai Place. The chili sauce was packed with “Die Hard” actions. (the first “Die Hard“, that is) Totally awesome. They successfully shut me up for ten minutes. When I finally woke up from heaven (like the scene in “The God of Cookery” when the lady tasted the best char-shiu pork rice and fantasized about rolling ecstatically in the giant bowl of char-shiu rice), there was only one crab left on the plate. I looked up and remembered that I came with J.

“Do you want some?” I offered half-heartedly. J shook his head and backed his torso slightly. “No thanks. They look like the creatures from The Starship Troopers.”

Sigh.

The price to pay for marrying a filmmaker.

After happily leaving the place, my vision came back and color emerged on my cheeks. Strolling serenely home beside J, I felt blissfully content having rendez-voused my two true loves, my hubby & my favorite restaurant. I gave J a plump kiss on the lips and he eyed me amorously.
Ha! Maybe there’s still chance to persuade him to withdraw me from the anger management classes he enrolled me in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll.net