The Incredible Adventures of Gourmet Gal

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

THE BEST CHEESE CAKE ON EARTH! NOT AGAIN!


NY NY CHEESECAKE
The Best Cheesecake on earth!
405 8th Ave
New York NY 10001

OH, COME ON! NOT “THE BEST OF … ON EARTH” AGAIN!

Is there a shortage of vocabularies?! Or are all the stores nowadays into whacking their ding-dongs off in front of the customers?! Shamelessly claiming your own product is “the best of its kind on earth” is simply masturbation to me. Like my mother used to say, private matters should be kept in, well, PRIVATE! This “The Best …” act is really starting to get on my nerves.

So I marched into the store and purchased two of their signature baby cakes.

WHAT?!
I JUST HAD TO TASTE IT!

PLAIN CHEESE BABY CAKE
PINEAPPLE CHEESE BABY CAKE

The cakes came in little see-through plastic containers sealed with stickers with pictures of cute naked babies laying on top. It made me feel like suddenly transforming into a platform-shoes sporting, wide-eyed Japanese school girl covering her mouth partially to giggle and exclaim with her Hello-Kitty cell phone in hand,

“Kawaii!”

But since I’m not Japanese, I went for the Confucian way. I ripped the seal open in one force and promptly dug my fork in.

The plain cheese cake was disappointingly tough. Too dense and salty (odd, ain’t it?). Not even a smidge close to the delectable Junior’s cheesecake. The pineapple cheesecake proved the same result. The small morsels of fake pineapples (you know, the ones from the can) on top served only a faint taste of the fruit. Remember how a real, ripe, juicy, fragrant pineapple should be? IT MAKES THE JACK RABBIT JUMP UP AND SMACK THE BEAR! I was hoping the pineapple flavor would be infused INSIDE the cheesecake. But I guessed it was too much to ask.

I can’t help but starting to daydream about the fluffily delicious passionfruit cheese cake I had back in Taiwan. Every Asian desert I’ve ever had just tasted so much lighter and, righter. (Yes, there is right and wrong for this matter). Hearing this, my hubby promptly rolled his huge puppy eyes and choked on his grape soda.

“ Are you kidding me?!”, he was sincerely waiting for an answer.
“Red bean ice cream? Taro cake?”.

Wowwwww! Things are getting REAL personal now …

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll.net