The Incredible Adventures of Gourmet Gal

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

MAKES THE JACK RABBIT STAND UP AND SMACK THE BEAR!


NICKI'S PIZZA

108-26 ASCAN AVENUE
FOREST HILLS, NY 11375
718-263-1126

I am such a lucky girl.
I live within walking distance of the best pizza parlor in the borough.
Nick's pizza is no joke.
Even at the end of the meal.
I was blown away, oh like, 100 feet.
By a phenomenal canola!

As I'm writing this, my mouth is yielded with the memorable taste of quality fresh mozzarella, tangy tomato sauce, vibrant basil leaves, and big, round, slices of sultry Italian meatballs. My sensory memory is so aroused that it's practically having a seizure.

I AM SO TOTALLY GOING BACK AGAIN!

Located in the heart of beautifully historic Forest Hill section of Queens, Nick's Pizza provides a reasonably priced amazing dining experiences for both adults and children. This famed spot has the look of a casually hip, much-talked-about Park Slope-ish hangout. The combination of wood paneled floors, copper tinted ceiling, and original artwork showcased in antique frames made me feel instantly upgraded to a higher place.

Yuppy couples with their even yuppier children dined on the 70s style tables watching Latino men in starched white chef uniforms, expertly maneuvering oven open flames in the open kitchen. The little girl (literally dressed in a red riding hood) from next table stood on her chair and stared at me with her smart blue eyes. I smiled at her and imagined her asking me in the most tender voice, "So do you rent or own?"

Thank God she didn't.

The menu was classic and straight forward. Small ($11) or large ($13) pies with various selections of toppings at $2 each. We decided quickly.

LARGE PIE WITH HALF MEATBALLS & HALF MUSHROOM TOOPINGS($15)

Our waitress was pleasant and efficient. The pie arrived in less than ten minutes. Its surface oozed with glisten and permeated with aroma. I bit into the crusty thin bottom, and everything just harmonized and melted in my mouth. The mozzarella was so fresh that I could literally hear the cows mooing. Light and packed with intensity, this pizza was definitely one of the best I've ever had. And I highly recommend the intensely flavored meatball topping.

Three slices and a doggy bag later, I was ready for a bit of sweets. The dessert menu was also simple. Canoli ($4.50), Tiramisu ($5.5), Brownie ($3.5), and Junior's Cheesecake ($4.00).

You guessed it right, J wanted the cheesecake. BUT WHY WOULD YOU WANT A JUNIOR'S CHEESECAKE AT AN ITALIAN PIZZERIA?! So I went ahead and ordered the followings for us. Too bad.

Canoli
Tiramisu
Cappuccino

The Canoli arrived in a small oval cream ceramic plate. Very Euro-chic. Chopped pistachios and powder sugar sprinkled on top of the soft cream seeping out of the canola shell presented a cheerful visual. I picked it up gingerly and gave it a shot.

I thought I saw angels.

My world had been forever changed by this little devil.

IT WAS MIRACULOUS!

The shell was as delightful and luminous as Zhang Ziyi in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. It carried no weight and imparted a delicate elegance. The filling tasted tender, milky, and saucy as hell. I was almost in tears by the time I finished the plate. It was indeed the most amazing canola I've ever had.

I AM SO TOTALLY COMING BACK AGAIN!

In comparison, the tiramisu was merely excellent. Lightly sweet cream covered a spongy layer of cake. Very tasty and satisfying. I sipped at my steaming, smooth cappuccino and beamed at J, while he stared jealously at the little red riding hood licking at her Junior's cheesecake. Hey, no one said it was going to be easy. And the life of an aspiring profession eater's spouse surely sucked even more. Or does it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll.net